My new favorite recipe that I can’t get enough of is air fryer chicken tikka buns. These delicious ultra soft pull apart milk buns combine the classic Indian/Pakistani flavors of chicken tikka with the soft fluffy milk buns. They can be baked in the oven and air-baked in the air fryer. It’s perfect for a quick and easy dinner, lunch, or snack.
Why Use An Air Fryer For Chicken Tikka Buns?
You can whip up chicken tikka buns using the traditional oven method, but air fryer is very famous these days. let’s talk about a game-changer—the air fryer. The trend is buzzing with an array of air fryer recipes.
Air frying cooks chicken tikka buns more quickly than baking them in the oven. This is because the air fryer circulates hot air around the food, cooking it evenly and quickly.
They are small and easy to use. You don’t have to preheat them, and they cook food quickly and evenly with minimal cleanup.
TANDOORI CHICKEN FILLING
To make delicious air fryer chicken tikka buns, you will need the following ingredients:
Boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- Greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Ginger-garlic paste
- Chili powder
- Ground coriander
- Garam masala
- Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
For milk buns, you need some basic ingredients.
- Warm milk (~110F)
- Active dry yeast (you can substitute instant yeast)
- All purpose flour
- Powder Milk
For garnishing the air fryer milk buns you need:
- Egg wash: It is made by beating an egg and often combined with a small amount of liquid, such as water or milk. This mixture is then brushed onto the surface of the bun dough. The egg wash will give a golden-brown color and a glossy finish to the buns.
- Sesame seeds: Sprinkle a handful of toasted sesame seeds on top of your buns just before baking for a delightful garnish that adds a nutty crunch and visual appeal.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CHICKEN TIKKA BUNS
1. MARINATE THE CHICKEN
Begin by marinating the boneless chicken pieces in a blend of yogurt, olive oil, ginger-garlic paste, all the spices. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or marinate overnight for an even richer taste.
2. PREPARE THE MILK BUN DOUGH
While the chicken is marinating, prepare the soft and pillowy milk bun dough. This is a very simple recipe, begin by combining warm milk, yeast, sugar, salt, and eggs, and beating them together.
Now add milk powder, then gradually add all-purpose flour, mixing thoroughly for a smooth and well-blended dough.
Knead the dough until it’s smooth and elastic. Now transfer it to a clean bowl lightly sprayed with oil. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and place it in a warm spot for approximately 60 minutes, allowing the dough to double in size.
3. COOK THE CHICKEN TIKKA FILLING
You can cook the chicken in a pan or air fryer. For air fryer chicken tikka, place the chicken in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook the chicken for 10-12 minutes at 180 or until it is cooked through.
4. ASSEMBLE THE BUNS!
Now that the dough has doubled in size and your chicken tikka filling is ready and slightly cooled down, it’s time to start assembling the buns!
Roll out the risen milk bun dough to your desired thickness and cut it into 10-12 rounds. For precision, you can use a kitchen scale.
Roll each piece into a ball using your palms. Take a generous portion of the air-fried chicken tikka and place it in the center of each dough round.
Fold the dough around the filling, shaping it into a bun. Ensure the edges are sealed to prevent any filling from leaking during cooking.
Let the assembled buns rest for some time, allowing them to rise again before proceeding to the next step. This resting period helps to the softness and fluffiness of the buns.
5. AIR FRY AND SERVE!
Once the buns have completed their second rise, apply a generous layer of egg wash on their surface. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top for a delightful finishing touch.
Air fry buns in the air fryer for 12- 15 minutes at 180. Once they are golden brown and cooked through, remove them and let them cool for a few minutes.
You can also bake them in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy your delicious air-fried chicken tikka buns!
ADDITION AND VARIATION
This is a very versatile recipe that you can modify in different ways!
- You can enhance the flavor by adding a layer of garlic butter or a sprinkle of chopped cilantro on top before serving.
- For a vegetarian version, substitute tofu for the chicken or any vegetable filling.
- For a smoky version, add a pinch of smoked paprika to the marinade.
- Stuff the buns with a slice of cheese or a dollop of mint chutney for an extra burst of flavor.
STORAGE AND REHEATING SUGGESTIONS
- Once cooled, store the buns in an airtight container to preserve their softness.
- For longer storage, consider freezing the buns in a sealed freezer bag. Ensure they are completely cool before freezing.
- To enjoy the buns warm, gently reheat them in the air fryer for a few minutes until they reach your desired temperature.
- Alternatively, use a microwave for a quicker reheating process. Wrap the buns in a damp paper towel to retain moisture.