Air fryer chicken kabobs (air fryer shish kebab) are a simple meal that uses chicken breasts and fresh vegetables to create a healthy meal served on BBQ skewers. Your wait to find the best air fryer shish kebab recipe is over!
These kabobs capture the heart of a traditional meal, blending juicy chicken with colorful veggies, all perfectly crisped in the air fryer. It requires a few ingredients, a bit of marination, and an air fry. That’s all you need to prepare these mouthwatering Air Fryer Chicken Kabobs (Air Fryer Shish Kebab).
It doesn’t matter whether you are a proper chef or not, this recipe promises an explosion of taste as well as a rewarding experience. This air fryer shish kebab provides a healthier option without compromising on taste.
In my point of view, anything you make on the grill can be prepared much better in an air fryer in less time. Air Fryer Chicken Kabobs (Air Fryer Shish Kebab) is one of them.
It allows customizing the marinade that suits your plate; you can also swap out veggies according to your choice.
This Air fryer chicken kabobs (air fryer shish kebab) will surely tantalize your taste buds.
If you are looking for more comfort food don’t forget to check out this Best Fall Crockpot Recipes: Warm and Cozy Comfort Food
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- QUICK PREPARATION: This recipe can be prepared in a minimal time as it needs minimal preparations. With the magic of an air fryer, it can be conveniently made for a busy weeknight or a weekend gathering.
- HEALTHIER OPTION: It provides a healthier option as air frying reduces 80% fat of traditional frying. Deep frying requires 2 or 3 cups of oil whereas air frying just needs a tablespoon of it. This is the reason that meals prepared in an air fryer are much lighter.
- VERSATILE AND CUSTOMIZABLE: These Air Fryer Chicken Kabobs (Air Fryer Shish Kebab) are versatile. They can be customized according to you, spices, or marinades to suit your taste buds or dietary preferences.
- FAMILY FAVOURITE: These shish kebabs will amaze your guests. This dish is a crowd-pleaser. It’s a wholesome option that’s loved by kids and adults alike.
INSTRUCTION TO MAKE AIR FRYER CHICKEN KABOBS (AIR FRYER SHISH KEBAB)
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- CHICKEN: You will need 1.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs that should be cubed into bite-sized pieces.
- VEGETABLES: You will need 2 medium-sized Bell Peppers (red, green, yellow). Cut them into chunks.
- ONION: You will need one large onion cut into wedges.
- CHERRY TOMATOES: You will need 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, whole or halved.
- Capsicum: I’ve added a cup of mixed yellow, red, and green bell peppers to the sheesh kebab for a vibrant mix of colors.
- OLIVE OIL: You will need 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Lemon: 3 tablespoons of lemon.
- SALT AND PEPPER: Take salt and pepper according to your preference.
- GARLIC: Take 2 cloves of minced garlic
- PAPRIKA: You will need 1 teaspoon of paprika
Skewers: 8-10 wooden or metal skewers for threading the chicken and veggies.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN KABOBS IN AIR FRYER (AIR FRYER SHISH KEBAB): STEP BY STEP
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken Marinade
In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon of paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
Add the cubed chicken pieces into the marinade, and toss them for a good coating. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before air frying.
Step 2: Prepare the Vegetables and Skewers
Cut the bell peppers into chunks, and slice the onion into wedges. Also, prepare the cherry tomatoes.
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning. If using metal skewers, skip this step.
Step 3: Thread the Skewers
Let the marinated chicken sit at room temperature and then thread the marinated chicken and prepared vegetables in alternate sequences, onto the wooden skewer, leaving a small space between each piece for even cooking.
Step 4: Preheat the Air Fryer
Preheat your air fryer to 360°F (180°C) for about 5 minutes.
Lightly spray or brush the air fryer basket with oil to prevent sticking.
Step 5: Air Frying the Kabobs
How to cook Air fryer chicken kabobs (air fryer shish kebab) in air fryer? Place the assembled skewers in the preheated air fryer basket, Do not overcrowd the air frying basket.
How long to cook chicken kabobs in air fryer? Cook the chicken kabobs at 360°F (180°C) for 12-15 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time for even browning.
Check for doneness by ensuring the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) by using a meat thermometer.
Step 6: Serve and Enjoy
Carefully remove the cooked kabobs from the air fryer and let them rest for a minute. Enjoy them with rice or your favorite sauce etc.
Infused oils: you can use infused oils like garlic–infused oil or chili-infused oil for the extra layer of flavor.
Citrus Zest: Grate lemon or orange zest over the finished kabobs just before serving for a refreshing citrus kick.
Spicy Kick: If you are a spice lover combine yogurt, paprika, cayenne pepper, and a dash of honey for a spicy-sweet marinade.
Pineapple Chunks: Introduce a new flavor of sweetness by alternating pineapple chunks with chicken and vegetables.
STORAGE AND REHEATING
- To store any leftovers, place the skewers in an airtight container or wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. You can store them in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- For reheating you can air fry them for about 5-6 minutes until they are warm
- Preheat your air fryer to 360°F (180°C) for approximately 5 minutes. Preheating ensures an even cooking temperature.
- Air fry the assembled chicken kabobs at 360°F (180°C). This temperature allows for optimal cooking, crisping the exterior while ensuring the chicken and vegetables cook evenly.
- Cook the chicken kabobs for approximately 12-15 minutes. Flip them halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning on all sides.
HOW TO SERVE
RICE: These delicious Air fryer chicken kabobs (air fryer shish kebab) can be served with rice for a hearty meal.
WRAPS: These shish kebabs can be served in the pita or flatbread in the form of wraps with a touch of tzatziki sauce.
FRESH SALAD: Kebabs can be paired with the fresh salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, feta cheese, and olives dressed in a lemony vinaigrette.
- You must soak the wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes before threading the chicken on it to prevent burning.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket, consider frying them in batches.
- Cut the chicken into evenly sized pieces to ensure that they cook properly.
- Give a little space between the chicken and vegetables on the skewers to ensure even cooking.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I use frozen chicken for these kabobs?
It’s best to use thawed chicken for even cooking. If using frozen, ensure it’s completely thawed before marinating to prevent uneven cooking.
How do I prevent wooden skewers from burning in the air fryer?
Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before threading the ingredients. This helps prevent them from burning during cooking.
Can I use different meats or tofu instead of chicken?
Absolutely! Feel free to substitute chicken with beef, pork, shrimp, or tofu cubes. Adjust cooking times accordingly based on the protein used.
Do I need to preheat the air fryer before cooking the kabobs?
Preheating ensures even cooking. It’s recommended to preheat the air fryer to the specified temperature in the recipe for optimal results.
How long should I marinate the chicken for the best flavor?
Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to penetrate. For more intense flavor, marinate for up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
How do I know if the chicken is cooked through?
Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption. Additionally, the chicken should no longer be pink, and the juices should run clear when pierced.
Air Fryer Chicken Kabobs (Air Fryer Shish Kebab)
- 8-10 Wooden skewers
- 1 Air Fryer
- 1.5 lbs Chicken(boneless, skinless breasts or thighs)
- 2 Bell Peppers (Red, Green, Yellow)
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Lemon
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Marinade Preparation: In a bowl, mix 2 tbsp olive oil, minced garlic, paprika, salt, lemon and pepper. Add cubed chicken, coat well, and refrigerate for 30 mins. It is best if you marinate it overnight. I find marinating overnight beneficial as it allows the chicken to thoroughly soak in all the flavors.
- Prepping Skewers: Cut veggies, soak wooden skewers if using, and alternate threading marinated chicken and veggies onto skewers.
- Preheating Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 360°F(180°C) for 5 mins. Lightly oil basket to prevent sticking
- AirFrying Kabobs: Place assembled skewers in the air fryer basket, avoid overcrowding. Air fry at 360°F (180°C) for 12-15 mins, flipping halfway through.
- Serving: Once cooked (internal temp 165°F or 74°C), rest kabobs for a minute. Squeeze fresh lemon or sprinkle cilantro over the skewers.Serve with rice, wraps, or fresh salad.