Air fryer chicken kebab is a classic dish that is celebrated for its rich blend of spices and juicy grilled texture.
This recipe also offers healthier options by the use of air fryers rather than traditional frying methods which are unhealthy. It is also a time savior.
These air fryer chicken kebabs offer a quick and flavorful solution for dinner or lunch, ready to serve in just 15 minutes!
Perfect for those busy weeknights or when you’re craving something delicious without spending hours in the kitchen. Not only are they quick and convenient, but they’re also a fantastic option for anyone following a low-carb or keto diet, as they’re high in protein and low in carbohydrates.
You can use boneless chicken breast or chicken thighs. I prefer to use chicken thighs for chicken kebabs air fryer because they have a slightly higher fat content compared to chicken breasts, which means they’re more flavorful and tend to stay juicier when cooked.
You might also like to try other chicken skewer recipes like Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Skewers, Air Fryer Chicken Kabobs (Air Fryer Shish Kebab) and Zesty Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Skewers
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Time-Saving Convenience: Unlike traditional grilling, the air fryer reduces cooking time, making this recipe perfect for those busy nights when you crave something delicious but don’t have time to make it.
Healthier Option: The air fryer requires minimal oil, resulting in a lighter version of this classic dish without compromising on taste or texture. It’s a guilt-free way to enjoy Air Fryer Chicken Kebabs.
Versatility: The air fryer chicken kebabs are customizable to different preferences. Whether you prefer boneless or bone-in chicken, thighs, or breasts, you can customize this recipe to suit your taste.
Authentic Flavors: The spice blend of this air fryer chicken kebabs recipe delivers the authentic taste of Chicken tikka, bringing the flavors of Indian cuisine right to your table.
INSTRUCTION TO MAKE AIR FRYER CHICKEN KEBABS
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs: You will need 1.5 pounds of chicken thighs. These provide a tender and juicy base for the Chicken, absorbing the rich flavors of the marinade.
- Plain Yogurt (1 cup): You will need 1 cup of plain yogurt that adds creaminess and helps tenderize the chicken.
- Ground coriander (1 tablespoon): You will need 1 tablespoon of ground coriander.
- Ginger-Garlic Paste (1 tablespoon): You will need 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste that infuses a pungent and aromatic kick.
- Lemon Juice (1 tablespoon): You will need 1 tablespoon of lemon juice which offers a hint of citrusy brightness, balancing the richness of the marinade.
- Ground Cumin (1 teaspoon): You will need 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, which adds earthy warmth and depth to the spice profile.
- Smoked Paprika (1 teaspoon): You will need a teaspoon of smoked paprika; it introduces a subtle smokiness, complementing the traditional flavors of Chicken tikka.
- Oil (2 tablespoons): You will need 2 tablespoons of oil to marinate the chicken. You can use cooking oil or olive oil.
- Salt and Black Pepper (to taste): You will need Salt and Pepper, out the individual flavors while harmonizing the overall taste.
- Wooden Skewers (pre-soaked in water): You will need wooden skewers which are essential for threading and cooking the marinated chicken.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN KEBABS IN AIR FRYER: STEP BY STEP
Step 1: Marinating the Chicken
Begin by combining the plain yogurt, ground coriander, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper in a bowl. This flavorful marinade will serve as the foundation for the air fryer chicken kebabs.
Step 2: Preparing the Chicken
Cut the boneless, skinless chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces. Coat each piece evenly with the prepared marinade, ensuring every nook and cranny is infused with the aromatic blend. For a deeper flavor, let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight if time allows.
Step 3: Skewering the Chicken
Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto wooden skewers that have been pre-soaked in water. This prevents the skewers from burning in the air fryer and ensures even cooking.
Step 4: Air Frying the Chicken Kebabs: How to Cook Chicken Kebabs in Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Place the skewers in the air fryer basket, making sure not to overcrowd them.
How long to cook chicken kebabs in air fryer? chicken kebabs in air fryer time is usually 15-20 minutes depending on your air fryer.
Cook for 15-20 minutes, flipping the skewers halfway through the cooking time. The goal is to achieve a golden brown exterior of air fryer chicken with a juicy and fully cooked interior.
Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for optimal cooking. This temperature ensures a golden exterior and juicy interior, capturing the authentic air fryer chicken kebabs experience.
Allow the air fryer to reach 375°F before placing skewers for even cooking. Consistent heat at this temperature guarantees a perfect blend of flavors and textures. Exercise patience – the magic happens when the air fryer works its charm at 375°F.
If you already have marinated chicken kebobs. Cooking store-bought marinated chicken kebabs in the air fryer is a breeze. Simply preheat the air fryer, arrange the kebabs in a single layer in the basket, and cook at 375°F (190°C) for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Once golden brown and cooked through, remove the kebabs and let them rest briefly before serving.
- Longer marination enhances flavor. For a deeper taste, consider marinating the chicken overnight.
- Allow space between skewers in the air fryer basket for proper air circulation, ensuring even cooking.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- After air frying, allow the chicken kebabs to rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Feel free to adjust the spice levels in the marinade to suit your taste preferences.
STORAGE AND REHEATING
Store leftover air fryer chicken kebabs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the air fryer for a few minutes to maintain the crispiness.
- Cilantro-Lemon Garnish: Sprinkle freshly chopped cilantro over the kebabs just before serving. Squeeze a bit of lemon for a burst of citrus that enhances the overall freshness.
- Grilled Vegetables: Go with a side of grilled vegetables with your chicken kebabs in the air fryer. Bell peppers, onions, and cherry tomatoes complement the dish, adding color and texture.
HOW TO SERVE
- Place the freshly cooked Chicken Kebabs on a serving platter.
- Mint Yogurt Sauce: Serve this alongside the kebabs for a refreshing contrast. Prepare a cooling mint yogurt sauce by mixing finely chopped mint leaves, yogurt, a pinch of salt, and a squeeze of lemon.
- Accompany the kebabs with your choice of side dishes. Naan bread, basmati rice, or a simple salad can enhance the meal and create a well-rounded dining experience.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I use chicken breasts instead of thighs for the Chicken Kebabs?
Yes, you can substitute chicken breasts. Keep in mind that cooking times may vary, so monitor the doneness to avoid overcooking.
What is the recommended internal temperature for the cooked Chicken kebabs?
Ensure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) using a meat thermometer to guarantee it is fully cooked and safe to eat.
Can I freeze the marinated chicken for later use?
Absolutely. Freeze the marinated chicken in an airtight container for up to one month. Thaw it in the refrigerator before cooking.
Can I prepare these Chicken Kebabs in a traditional oven?
Yes, you can. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
How do I prevent the wooden skewers from burning in the air fryer?
Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before threading the chicken. This prevents them from burning during the air frying process.
AIR FRYER CHICKEN KEBABS
- Air Fryer
- Wooden skewers
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and black pepper
- Wooden skewers
- Step 1: Marinating the ChickenIn a mixing bowl, combine yogurt, coriander, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, ground cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. This forms a flavorful marinade.
- Step 2: Preparing the ChickenCut the boneless chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces. Coat each piece evenly with the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight for enhanced flavor.
- Step 3: Skewering the ChickenThread the marinated chicken pieces onto pre-soaked wooden skewers. Ensure an even distribution for consistent cooking.
- Step 4: Air Frying the KebabsPreheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Place the skewers in the air fryer basket, ensuring they are not overcrowded. Cook for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°.
- Serve 5: Allow the chicken kebabs to rest for a few minutes before serving to allow the juices to redistribute.Serve the air fryer chicken kebabs hot with your favorite dips like green chutney or sides, such as rice, grilled vegetables, or a fresh salad.
- Longer marination enhances flavor; consider marinating overnight.
- Ensure space between skewers for proper air circulation in the air fryer.
- Use a meat thermometer to confirm the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).